Saturday, September 30, 2017

Transition

I have been putting off writing this post because it is not an easy thing for me to talk about, but our daughter H turned 18 and chose to move back in with her biological family.  In the end, the life she had created with us, parts of which she truly loved, was not enough to keep her anchored here.  The life she has returned to is vastly different than the one she had with us.  It is chaotic and operates on a kind of predictable yet continually traumatic dysfunction.  Knowing that that is the life she has chosen for herself makes me feel a host of jumbled emotions, none of them good.


Daughter H has been a big part of our lives for six years, and living in our home as our daughter for five, so it feels strange not to have to factor her into our daily plans, not take care of her mental health needs, not know her schedule or give her rides to and from work.  In some ways it has created a void of time and mental/emotional space for me that I am having to mourn and then choose carefully what to fill in its place.



Our relationship is not non-existent, but it is broken.  It is not what I had thought it would be.  I am not altogether sad that she is no longer living here, as our relationship had been deteriorating for a long time and daughter H was often angry and angsty.  But if she was not going to live with us, we had hoped she would make a lateral move to another place that would be a healthy environment for her.

Are you familiar with the five stages of grief or loss?  They are:

denial
bargaining
anger
depression
acceptance

These stages are not meant to be linear or even sequential, but can be cycled through in any order any number of times.  I am finding myself feeling all of them at various times.  I wonder if she is, too?  I don't know.

If the Lord brings us or daughter H to mind, please pray for each of us as we work through this transition, and especially pray for daughter H to stay close to Jesus and to know His great love for her.


3 comments:

Teacher/Mom said...

I will pray. We should connect sometime. Love you, sweet "secret" sister!

Debbie said...

would it be okay for me to contact her? I'd like to take her out for coffee, if you think that would be okay.

Unknown said...

Dearest sister, I will keep praying. Thank you for making yourself write this post, to share with your readers. And many of them are praying for you, just like I am! Love you so very much. You mean the world to me. And your and B's commitment years ago made to the Lord first, and then to Hanna, is bearing fruit as its effects continue to roll forward into the future. Psalm 90:15--17 with Ephesians 2:10 ~ 'Aunt Debbie'