Friday, July 13, 2018

Fourth of July!

I saw a t-shirt in a store this summer that said, "Party like it's 1776."  It made me think of John Adam's poignant words in a letter to his wife after the signing of the Declaration of Independence (which commenced on July 2, 1776):

"The second day of July 1776 will be the most memorable epocha in the history of America.  I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival.  It ought to be commemorated as the Day of Deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.  It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other from this time forward forever more."



While many Americans may not know the details of the beginning of our nation, I am glad that John Adam's prophetic words hold mostly true.  All over the country there are parades, games, sports, bonfires, and illuminations (fireworks).  The story of our freedom from the tyranny of King George III is an amazing story, all the more incredible because it is TRUE.  It is worthy of celebration!




We spent the day with relatives and friends at our family cottage, visiting, eating, and soaking up the sun.  Yes, I went in the river, and yes, it was COLD!  But I managed to stay in longer than most of my kids, just to prove that I was not a wimp. :)


Son L with his girlfriend.


One of our nephews with his fiance.





Me and my sister in law.


My favorite 21 year old!!



No comments: