Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Washington vacation - day 4 - Mountain Hike!

I will let these beautiful pictures mostly speak for themselves.  It was another gorgeous weather day, in spite of some smoke and haze from distant forest fires.  Some of the older family members did not come on this hike (though my dad did - he is a young 79!), and the youngest babes also stayed home, but most of us made the hour and a half drive to this snow covered mountain area, and set out on what we anticipated being a 4-5 mile hike.









All of us in the parking lot, just before setting out!










You can see that in some spots the trail was very narrow and was literally carved out of the side of an incline. 



This photo of me and my hubby was taken moments before I fell down an incline, twisted my ankle under me, and slid about 15 feet.  I could tell immediately that it was either a fracture of some kind or a bad sprain.  It began swelling right away and I could not bear weight.  So the next part of this day was operation "get Pam off the mountain."  My husband and brother in law each took a side and we began the laborious journey back to the parking lot.  The rest of our group continued on for a bit to see the first of a chain of mountainous lakes in the area.  On their way back they lapped us, and we ended up being the very last ones back to the cars!  I then went to the ER and had xrays taken.  A fibula fracture was confirmed and I was given a lovely boot to wear for the rest of our vacation.  But it was a lovely day on the mountain nonetheless!






My niece and nephew.


Our children and their cousins!


Beautiful lake, with clear, cold water (which I saw only in this photo since I didn't get to finish the hike!)


No comments: