Friday, February 15, 2019

Son L goes to college!

Two days after returning home from our fabulous Washington vacation, we began preparing two of our kiddos to go away to college.  Son L is now a freshman at the same school where daughter G is a senior!  (comforting for mama to know big sister can keep an eye on the newbie younger brother!) 

We made a trip to Costco to stock up on snacks for their dorm rooms.  I bought all kinds of boxes of snacks, Costco size, so the two of them could split everything.







Of course I was still in a boot from my fall on the mountain hike while in WA, so I got to use one of their lovely motorized carts!


And with the boot on I could not drive, so we loaded everything into the trunk of daughter G's car.



Once home, we began two staging areas in the house, one for daughter G and one for son L.



Also needing to be done in our few days between vacation and moving to college, was the purchase of a laptop for son L!  This had been his 18th birthday gift in May, but we just hadn't gotten around to actually purchasing it since he was gone most of the summer for work.




Finally, move in day arrived!  We all were there except for son G, who had to work.  Son L was really geeked about his Star Wars comforter, and I have heard since then that it was a hit with the other guys on his floor, too!




On the one hand, by now I am used to leaving a child at college, but on the other hand, I don't think a mother can ever get used to it.  Knowing that some other place will be their home for 9 months, and they will largely have to look out for themselves, makes me inwardly question everything I ever taught them....did I do enough?  Is he prepared?  Does he know how to be discerning about people and choose the right friends?  Will he remember all the studying tips I've shown him, the note taking, and the admonition to visit his professors soon and often during their office hours?  Will he remember to go to the dining commons to eat before they close?  Will he wash his underwear?!?!  Most importantly, will he lean on God in all things, especially when the going gets tough?  Will *I* leave him in God's care instead of worrying?




Finally it was time to actually leave him on campus and drive away.  After the ribbon cutting ceremony we all said our goodbyes.






How we love this boy of ours!

No comments: