Sunday, November 16, 2008

Another Serious Talk

Last night I told our daughter about homosexuality. It had come up about a month ago, when the children asked to eat at McDonald's and I said I was trying not to eat there right now. Our daughter asked why? And I said "I'll tell you later." (they give company benefits to same sex partners). She asked me a couple more times, but always in the presence of her brothers. So last night on her way to bed, she asked again. It was not convenient, but relationship building seldom is. So we sat down on the couch with my Bible and had a conversation that I wish with all my heart we did not need to have. My husband, bless his sweet heart, heard what was happening and sat on the stairs, out of view, listening and praying the whole time.

It went very well for which I am thankful. I gave her what I thought was an appropriate segue and when we finally got to the part about what homosexuality actually *is*, her reaction was an incredulous, jaw-dropping stare and the words, "well that's just crazy!". It was clearly an unnatural thing to her. It is always so obvious to the innocent.

How grateful I am that God gives us as parents the opportunity to really know each of our children for several years before we need to have conversations like this. Our daughter G was made by God to be very black and white in her thinking (like her mama! I'm afraid she will have a few hard knocks ahead). Dealing with gray issues is difficult for her. She is all about justice and fairness. So as our talk was winding down I could tell that for the purpose of her own understanding, she had put people who struggle with this sin in the "bad" box in her mind, while she remained in the "good" box. We looked at appropriate Scripture and talked for awhile about how ALL of us are sinners, we ALL struggle with sin, but different people struggle with different types of sin. In fact, I told her that the total number of people who struggle with the sin of homosexuality is quite small, while the number of people who struggle with selfishness or pride is very large.

At one point during our conversation, G was sharing how some people chose not to have children, but she did want to marry someday and have children so that "my husband and I can pass on the Good News of Jesus to our children, because that's a main reason that God made families." That blessed my heart to hear!

Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity you gave last night for G and I to have this conversation. I wish that the world were not ruled by sin, but one day it won't be. Until then, help us to shield our children from evil until they are mature enough to handle the knowledge of it. Give us wisdom as we teach and instruct our children about You, Your Truth, and Your perfect ways. Help us to model a Christ-centered marriage for them, so that they have a healthy view of the marriage relationship, of sex, and of your best plan for families. Please keep your hand upon our children's future spouses, wherever they may be right now. Help them to know and love You, and be instructed in Your Truth. Thank you for loving our children even more than we do. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

I remember the first time I asked my mom--we were in church. I was reading the story of Lot, and I thought for sure that there was a mistake in my Bible. I'm sure that it was not an easy talk to have, but I'm glad to hear that it went pretty well.

We too were boycotting McDonald's until recently when they withdrew their support of the homosexual agenda. They agreed to stay out of the issue, and AFA lifted the boycott. I was glad to hear that because I like my chicken mcnuggets a little too much :)

**I'll see Ebony on Friday when I take her to the doctor's appointment, and I'll find out exactly what she needs. Thank you for your kindness and generosity!

votemom said...

my oldest son learned about it from the story of lot too. he was reading it in his room one night.

i'm thankful God covers all the issues in His perfect Word.

and i'm thankful your talk went well. 1 down - 4 to go!

lahbluebonnet said...

I had this talk with my dc about 7 years ago due to extended family circumstances. I do not like children having to grow up too fast. But God works through that too.
Blessings,
Laurie