Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Thoughts on the Election

One of my overriding thoughts today is, "I'm so glad it's over!". No more negative campaigning, no more phone calls cluttering our voicemail, no more fliers on our door. Another overriding feeling today is one of extreme disappointment. I am not happy with the outcome. If the election had been about race alone I would be rather happy that an African American had won. I mean, how cool is that???? It is such a significant achievement and I sincerely hope it signals a healing to the black/white tensions plaguing our country for generations. But the election was NOT about race and, almost ironically, I thought of a black man's eloquent words spoken 50 years ago: that men be judged by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. Many of us did that. We judged Obama based on the content of his character and found it lacking. I hope he will do some positive things for our country. I am praying for him to do so. But all other issues pale in comparison to the slaughter of millions of innocent children that is coming during the next 4 years. The "working together" rhetoric that both candidates spoke of last night is all well and good, but when you have a president who is actively working to expand abortion and you have others actively working to limit it, I don't see how you can really work together.

Another feeling I have today is one of gratitude for the republic we live in and our constitution that was so carefully crafted by our founding fathers. Last night we experienced the beginning of a radical shift in our government, and it was accomplished peacefully. In January there will be a transfer of power from our current administration to an opposing one, and it will be accomplished peacefully. No violence. No weapons. No military takeover, or coup. No dictator. No fear for our safety or mad scramble to evacuate the country. Wow! How thankful I am for the form of government our founding fathers saw fit to implement. Though I am not happy about the next administration, our system of government is pretty hard to beat.

And the last thought I want to share is that in God's economy, nothing has changed. He is still on the throne. He is still in control. He is still faithful, merciful, gracious, loving, slow to anger, just. He is the SAME. Kingdoms rise and kingdoms fall, leaders come and leaders go, economies swing back and forth between being strong and being weak. Through it all, God is the one constant, unchanging truth. How thankful I am for Him! I told the children during our devotions this morning that our hope is not in a man or even in an office. Our hope is IN THE LORD. Then we sang this hymn, and I think it's a fitting way to end this post:

Our hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus' Name.
On Christ the Solid Rock I stand!
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

5 comments:

Lona said...

Thank you, Pam, for saying what I am too numb to even think out.

I prayed with the children this morning for President elect Obama (oh how I would have rejoiced if the first black president would have been Alan Keyes), and that the church would wake up.

votemom said...

i sing that hymn to the girls during rock time. (i.e. rocking chair time.)

our neighbors had their garage door spray-painted in huge black letters: obama 2008. they had had a mccain sign in their yard.

violent? no.
wrong? yes.

lahbluebonnet said...

Well said.
Blessings,
Laurie

BlessingintheBattle said...

very well said, pam. my sentiments, exactly.

Jennifer said...

I agree!!