Friday, June 4, 2010

Our Week in Review - Geography

Our son G is learning the names of the state capitals for his final geography assignment of fifth grade, and to help him (and all of us!) we played geography bingo this week.

The pre-made bingo game was just covering the names of the states with a token when they were called out, but we added another layer to the game. Anyone who wanted to could guess the name of the capital when the state name was called out, and if they got it right, they received a chocolate chip!



This was very fun! Unfortunately, not too many chocolate chips were awarded, so the children didn't really have a sugar high. But I sent them outside to run after this anyway. :0)

Do any of you adults remember all the state capitals?

5 comments:

votemom said...

every time i have a 5th grader i do! haha!

Dana Leeds said...

Nope! We worked on them last year, and it is amazing at how much I have forgot! :-)

lahbluebonnet said...

I think I'd be a fair, and hopefully tough, competitor. I always put huge importance to knowing the state capitals. I haven't focused on it in a few years so not sure how many I have forgotten. It's so easy to lose something, any thing, that is not practiced.

BTW the John Adams house was supposed to be our first stop when we arrived in MA, but we got lost in Suffering, NY and didn't arrive in Lexington, where our hotel was until 7pm (5 hours late). I had to cancel JA. My CW friend who helped me so much told me to move that to the next time so we will!

I'm glad you asked where he was buried b/c I had no idea. It's at a church in Quincy, near his house. I am putting this in my MA folder for that next trip!
http://www.presidentsgraves.com/john%20adams%20second%20president.htm

Blessings,
Laurie

Beth in Texas said...

I made money as a 5th grader because of my knowledge of state capitals. I had a much older cousin (he'd love that description. ;-)) move to town and I would wager a $.25 on this state capital or that one. Now, I'd lose big time!

lahbluebonnet said...

Amanda herself, the CW employee who helped me with Boston, left you a comment on my blog about John Adams!
Blessings,
Laurie