Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Update on Foot Pain

I started seeing a physical therapist last week for my plantar fascitiis, and so far I have had two workouts with her. Yes, they are workouts! My pain is already significantly lessened and I am hopeful this will provide long term answers for me! It is absolutely fascinating, just fascinating to learn how the hip, knee, ankle and foot are connected and meant to work together. I am learning so much.

One of the things I learned today is that there are three mechanisms in the body that are intended to work together to support the arches in our feet, and if any one of them (or all three) are out of whack, it can cause fallen arches which leads to foot/heel pain. Since I have lived with the pain for so long, it is impossible to tell which mechanism originally caused it, so my PT is treating all three mechanisms at once. Which means three times the stretches and exercises. Each stretch and exercise has a specific purpose, and correct form is key. I was at PT for over two hours this afternoon, and worked up quite a sweat!

The three mechanisms we are working on are, my hips (yes, hips! who knew???), ankles, and the muscles and fascia in my foot itself. Currently my foot and ankle are taped with special tape made just for plantar fascitiis, holding my bones in correct position, and when the PT finished taping and I walked around, I literally cried with relief. My pain was instantly cut in half!

So. I am hopeful. Encouraged. Motivated. Thankful, sooo thankful for medical insurance!

6 comments:

Teacher/Mom said...

Praise God! I have prayed that there would be relief for you. You amaze me that you can do all the things you do, knowing that you must be in pain much of the time. May the LORD continue to direct you to the things you must do to gain a foothold (pun intended) on this issue. Blessings.

Beth in Texas said...

What a praise!

Lona said...

Oh, good! Another answer to prayer...

Amanda said...

So good to hear! My mom did PT for her back last year and it mostly eliminated the pain. Medical insurance is a good thing:)

Changing the subject, it is a small world! Jada has been taking a dance class all year, and today one of the moms I've gotten to know (Hi Teacher/Mom!:) and I realized that we both know you. Well, she knows you, I am just a faithful blog reader:) Between the two of you, I am getting lots of good info about TOG!

votemom said...

i am THRILLED for you pam!

Targetshopper: said...

So happy for you! Sounds like a lot of work but it will be worth it in the end!