Tuesday, April 5, 2011

New Orthotics!

I love my physical therapist. Love her.

She takes lots of time with me. She explains things. She listens. She is not content for me to feel "a little better" at the end of a session than when I walked in. Her goal is to get me feeling as good as I possibly can during each visit.

Since beginning PT three weeks ago, I have not used my old orthotics at all. My PT told me to try them again, and bring them in so she could take a look at them. So today I wore my "old" orthotics all day. The ones prescribed by the podiatrist last September. My feet were killing me all day, but I am so used to that, and was so busy, it never occurred to me to just take the orthotics out. Dumb, I know.

I limped in to physical therapy this afternoon, told my PT my feet felt terrible, and she immediately went to work. First of all, she couldn't believe the orthotics I had. Could. Not. Believe. that anyone had given me those. They are very hard inserts, with no cushion in the heel at all, and she felt terrible that I'd been walking in them all day. She has never seen orthotics like mine! She explained it was like my heel had been pounding against a wood floor with every step. She gave me new ones, that could heat up and be molded to my feet exactly (while I was standing up, which is important, and which the podiatrist never did), taped my ankle and heel, and VOILA'! Virtually pain free. I did my exercises and walked back out to my van with no limp.

AMAZING!

My new orthotics have firm arch support, but a nicely cushioned heel, and they extend the entire length of my foot so I don't feel a "line" under the ball of my feet. It's only been a few hours, but I am hopeful!

I am so thankful for insurance and for income!

And have I mentioned that I love my PT?

5 comments:

Teacher/Mom said...

That's wonderful! So happy to hear you've got some relief after so long. And no it's not dumb. You trusted that the doctor would give you the best advice. It's what they are supposed to do. Hoping that this will be an incredibly pain free summer for you. Blessings.

Lona said...

Wonderful news! Glad to hear of the relief...

Targetshopper: said...

Such great news! What a blessing!!! I can't imagine how much pain you were in. :(

votemom said...

happy
happy
happy
!!!

Leslie said...

So glad you have a great therapist that is helping you to feel better!!!