Saturday, April 9, 2011

Making Unit Celebration Costumes (Year 1, Units 2 and 3)

We had our unit celebration(s) today!! Pics from that coming soon, but here is a little teaser....


Sculpey clay teeth, made by daughter G, for a Mayan necklace.


Me, sewing! I am *not* a seamstress, but I can sew a seam! I was actually quite pleased with a little Chinese jacket I made for Little Man. I realized I was not a good enough seamstress to make up anything as complicated as having sleeves, without a pattern. As I did not have a pattern small enough for Little Man, I made my own out of tissue paper! A front, a back, and a sleeve piece, and voila'! It worked out GREAT, and turned out to be the most "finished" looking costume of them all.


We needed a couple different shields. For a Philistine shield we covered son G's Captain America shield from last Halloween with tan/leathery fabric....


....and to make a bigger Greek hoplite shield we covered poster board with more of the leathery looking fabric. Daughter G colored the boar emblem on it with permanent markers.


Son G made his Greek hoplite helmet by paper mache-ing a balloon, blown up to slightly larger than the circumference of his head.


He drew his face on the balloon first, so he'd know what not to cover.


When it was dried to just slightly damp and was still pliable, we fit it more exactly to his head. Then we let it dry completely before spray painting it with bronze paint.

Daughter G planned all the accessories for all the costumes, and did a wonderful job helping to make many of them! We had a great time portraying characters from Unit 2 and Unit 3!

3 comments:

Teacher/Mom said...

Goodness - now I'm so excited to see the rest! Looks awesome.

Targetshopper: said...

More great pictures!

Mary said...

I love the pictures! We have yet to do a Unit Celebration, but I am hoping at the end of our current unit (yr2 U4) that we will do one.