Thursday, November 10, 2011

Sad Day

Yesterday was a sad day in our home.

For me personally, I was sad because someone I love died. Someone who encouraged me as a young adult, and was in many ways like a second mom to me. The rest of my family didn't know her so they weren't affected too much, but I had a hard time going through the motions yesterday, and I cried a lot.

Our three older children came home from youth groups (middle school and high school) last night all in tears. Our senior high youth pastor resigned, and our middle school youth pastor is temporarily moving up to cover his responsibilities, while our college pastor will take over the middle school. Our high school daughter was sad because she "only had 3 months with him" and our two middle school boys were sad because they love their middle school pastor and don't want to "lose him to the high school." Everyone was crying.

We sat and cried together. Then we talked. Everyone had a chance to share how they felt. We talked about change, and how hard that is sometimes. We want things to stay the way we like them. It was probably the first of many such talks. My heart hurts for all the kids who are hurting today, or maybe confused. I didn't want to be too "preachy" at such an emotional time, but I reminded the kids that God is always in control. This didn't surprise Him, He knew it was coming, and He has a plan for their youth group(s) and for them.

I am so grateful we still have children at home! Parenting is hard work, but every time I speak truth to my children, I hear it too. Even on the sad days, God is still God. And He is good.

5 comments:

Teacher/Mom said...

Sorry to hear of your loss. I'll be praying that God would give you a peace. As for losing your youth pastor, we have the same thing going on here. And my oldest only got 3 months as well. And his wife is also a close personal friend, so that makes it even harder. But as you said, none of it surprises God as it is all really just a part of His grand plan for us. It's the waiting that is so hard. But I'm confident that in the end, everyone will end up blessed beyond what we could have imagined.

Mary said...

I am sorry for your loss :(

Leslie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. ((((Pam)))) Praying for all of you.

Unknown said...

Pam - So sorry to hear about your own loss, and the struggles the kids are going through.

I remember the pain, over and over again, of losing youth pastors during my time in middle school and high school. Tell your kids I'm praying for them, and encourage them to keep their eyes open for how God is going to work through them and their fellow students in ways that they may never have seen when there was a youth pastor there to lead them.

lahbluebonnet said...

I'm sorry. =(
Blessings,
Laurie