Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Horseback Riding Lessons!


This is "Sinatra" ~ a gentle, non-frisky horse that our daughter will get to know well in the next 8 weeks. Today she began two months of horse riding lessons! The lessons were our Christmas gift to her and I'm SO thankful we were able to plan for this before my husband lost his job. She has been so excited for this day, and it made me happy that we could give this to her.

The lessons are one hour each week, but she has to come half an hour early to "tack" the horse, and stay half an hour afterward to "un-tack" the horse, so in essence they are 2 hours. Here she is at the beginning of tacking (cleaning the horse and getting him ready to ride).


She was concentrating so hard while riding that she never looked up for my camera! All other times that she has ridden a horse she has been led by a handler, so even a slow walk was a new experience as she had the freedom to turn and go any direction. She really learned alot today about how to direct a horse. By the end of the lesson she was even allowed to trot! She is in an afternoon class with 2 other homeschooled girls (sisters) who are just lovely and sweet as can be, and who LOVE horses and who have already had 16 lessons. So G is very motivated to "catch up".


Unfortunately, we discovered today that she is either allergic to horses, or to hay. From now on she will need to take an allergy tablet before class, and I'm praying that will do the trick. Otherwise it's going to be a very uncomfortable 7 more weeks for her.

7 comments:

Beth in Texas said...

We ride Western down here in Texas but for FM#1s birthday "party" we all went to a local stable and worked with horses and he got to ride for quite a while. It seems like G and FM#1 have a lot in common.

As for riding English, my husband surprised me with an early morning horseback ride when we were on our trip to Ireland in 2000. I think we were both surprised at having to ride English over hill and dale in the fog. I admire G for being able to trot -- that's a challenge.

votemom said...

oh no - not allergic - that is just SAD! i loved horses growing up and was allergic. but i was allergic to the horse and was fine as long as i never touched my face until i had showered and thoroughly washed all "horse" from my body.

what a wonderful time in her life!!!

Teacher/Mom said...

This is something my Princess S wants more than anything. I guess she gets that from me. I always wanted a horse, but we actually lived on a hobby farm and had the land and barn. So, she settles for "being" a horse for Princess M. She can even sound like one - it's a little unsettling at times. I'm happy for G that she gets to have this experience. If she really enjoys it, maybe in a couple years she could get a job at the stable and have more time with the horses.
Blessings.

Renee said...

How FUN!!!

What an awesome gift! She lloks great on the horse. i hope her allergies ease off. That is a bummer. Dh is really allergic to hay. We discovered that on what was to be a , cough, sniff, aachoo romantic ;o) moonlit hay ride..aaachoo.

Lona said...

Oh, how wonderful! Too bad about the allergies, though. Nasty...

lahbluebonnet said...

How wonderful! I hope the allergy meds so she can fully enjoy the experience!
Blessings,
Laurie

Targetshopper: said...

What a wonderful gift for her! She already looks like a natural and I hope we get to see more pics (or video) as the weeks go on.