Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wild Times, Precious Times

Remember this?

March 17, 2009?


This is what we woke up to on April 6, 2009!

Just the typical wild spring weather in our state! I am happy to say that 2 days later the snow is nearly gone and the sun is shining. And I think the tips of my daffodils and crocuses are none the worse for wear.

In other wild news, we learned an important piece of information about bunkbeds last night. They are incredible platforms from which to projectile vomit. And when this happens during the night, the person on the lower bunk really wants to be sleeping near the wall, which thankfully he was, because..... you know, not all the vomit projectiles away from the bunkbeds. My husband and I both worked hard for an hour to clean it all up, while the sick boy (son L) dozed on the bathroom floor next to the toilet, and the bottom bunk boy (son C) slept soundly in our bed, albeit without his special quilt which made it on the fast track to the laundry. Even as I was scrubbing and wiping, a part of me was admiring what young, strong abdominal muscles are capable of! (I had sortof forgotton since mine are post-pregnancy, post-delivery, not-young, not-strong abdominal muscles). L is a little lethargic today so he has been taking it easy, but does not seem sick-sick (as opposed to just sick). We're not sure if he really has a virus or if it was a fluke. He has been hungry, and most importantly has been keeping all his food down, so we're grateful for that. Wild!

Daughter G and I had another precious tea time last night. She said she'd get everything ready "except for boiling the water", and when I came downstairs from kissing her brothers goodnight, this is what I found:



She had cut slices of bread into triangles, found a couple cookies and some strawberries, and arranged not only the tray but the entire room into a thing of beauty! I love her sense of beauty and style. We had a wonderful conversation, talking alot about various careers she could pursue after college. She wants to be a stay at home mom someday, but she wants to work at something first (just like her mama wanted!). We talked about her strengths and what her spiritual gifts might be. She is such a joy to my heart. Thank you, Lord, for the relationship G and I have. Please protect it and help us to do those things which will nurture it during the teen years that are just ahead.

Another precious and sweet moment happened this afternoon. We dropped G off at her horse riding lesson, leaving the sick boy at home with daddy, and the other 3 boys and I went to visit the grave of the baby we lost who would be turning 5 now. At the time we were not sure of the gender, but we imagined him to be a boy and named him Benjamin Peter. The boys and I sat and talked about Benjamin, and about what sometimes goes wrong when babies are growing in their mother's wombs, and about heaven. The boys sang happy birthday to their brother! Little Man, who was not old enough to remember the last time we visited Benjamin's grave, cried and cried. It was very touching and sweet.



As we drove away, son G told me, "Every time I visit a cemetery I always feel closer to God and to the people who died before us."

Lord, thank you that You have a plan and a purpose for every life, no matter how long or short they live. Thank you that each life touches so many others, often in ways we cannot see or understand. Thank you for the five healthy children You've blessed us with! Help us to raise them well, telling them of You and Your faithfulness, and showing them Your love. There is so much in life I do not understand, but I know that You ARE, that You are GOOD, and that You are in CONTROL. Thank you that no heartache will go unredeemed. I love you, Lord.

9 comments:

Beth in Texas said...

Boy, have you had a full 24 hours.

lahbluebonnet said...

I agree with Beth. And to go from PV to tea. So sad about the baby. If I had not miscarried my first, I never would have had dd...so I know what you mean about bittersweet. Praying...
blessings,
Laurie

Pam said...

Laurie, thankfully the pv was about 3 hours AFTER the tea party! So we went from tea to pv. :-)

Beth, not as full as "24", eh? :-)

votemom said...

the last picture is beautiful.... i can't quite find the words.

Beth in Texas said...

Not quite as full as "24" but I'm ready for it to be over. Every season, it's the same. By the end of the season, I'm thinking "enough already, resolve the dilemma and save the U.S. Just be done with it." Guess I'm not that patient.

Rebekah said...

We're hoping it's a "so far" situation. I (and I'm pretty sure Mark) would like to have 4. However, we now have two adoptions to pay off, so it might be a while.

Mark wants to wait 5 or 6 years, but that's way too long. I'd like to have them somewhat close together, but more like 2/3 years, not 13 months!

Susanne Barrett said...

That's the sweetest photo of your three sons at the cemetery -- and I agree with G: I feel closer to God and to those who are with Him now at a cemetery -- perhaps that's why I love cemeteries so much! :)

We didn't know the sex of our baby we lost, either, but we named him Ian Matthew. He would be 15 on May 24. I had a special glass bead baby bracelet made for him, just as for our other four kids.

Laura said...

How beautiful. The tea party sounds perfect. And your boys and their tender hearts; I'm blown away.

You are blessed.
Laura

Colleen said...

Pam,

What a sweet photo of the boys. Your family just sounds so special to me. I hope to meet you guys in person someday. And I love the picture of G and the tea party. Our girls are little now, but I look forward to many tea parties with them in the future.

Colleen :)