Monday, May 11, 2009

Overheard....

Our Little Man is very much in the "why" stage now. Very much. This is our lunchtime conversation today:

Me: "Finish your lunch quickly so you will have time to play outside before we finish our schoolwork."

Little Man: "Why do we have to do school?"

Me: "Because school prepares us for life."

Little Man: "Why does it prepare us for life?"

Me: "Because that's what God designed it to do."

Little Man: "Why did God design it for that?"

Me: "Because He has purposeful things for us to do in life."

Little Man: "Why does He have purposeful things for us to do in life?"

Me: "Because He loves us and created the world for us to rule over it."

Little Man: "Why does God love us?"

Me: "I don't know the answer to that one ~ we're sinners and not very lovable most of the time!"

Little Man: "Well, why are we sinners?"

Me: "Because we were born that way."

Little Man: "We can go to heaven though."

Me: "Yes, if we trust Jesus to be our Savior and take away our sin. Now take another bite."


(I admit, despite the wonderful theological discussion my ears were getting tired! And this kid is such a s-l-o-w eater, he is the most likely to miss recess because he's still eating!)

4 comments:

votemom said...

my s-l-o-o-o-w eater is also my "why" child. maybe we should put the two of them together and watch the interaction!

Rebekah said...

So cute! I can only imagine all the questions Steven will have when he gets to that stage. The kid already talks my ear off!

Pam said...

votemom: that would be funny! Maybe our children are so busy thinking about "why" that they don't have time to eat!

BlessingintheBattle said...

Oh, I can so feel you on this...Maddie is the SAME. WAY. and it exhausts me. I love it...and dread it somedays!