Friday, May 29, 2009

Overheard....

Since forever we have had a rule that no toys may be at the table during meals. We learned early on that they provide too much distraction and s-t-r-e-t-c-h out the meal to an interminable length. With each child that came along, this rule has been taught and enforced. Which translates to me saying, "remember the rule about no toys at the table?" approximately 8,672 times. So this week (don't ask me why it took this long) I finally said, "no more reminders. You bring a toy to the table, you lose the toy."

Today at lunchtime there was a toy at Little Man's place. It was a Star Trek communication device that came in a cereal box (who-hoo! a whole new generation to convert into trekkies!).

Me, as I confiscated said toy: "Oh dear, you brought a toy to the table so now the toy goes bye-bye."

Little Man, earnestly: "Well mommy, I didn't bring the toy to the table, it just suddenly appeared there!"


Sorry buddy. Even Star Trek communication devices don't magically beam themselves onto the table.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

LOL Kids are so funny!

Blessings
Leslie

votemom said...

well done mama. our toys get tossed if they go in the mouth. i have a little culprit that does it on purpose from time to time, just to test out the rule. can you guess who?

Beth in Texas said...

I have to admit that we have this same rule but I am not as diligent about enforcing it. I remind them and then I just get worn out. Now I know you have more patience than me because I haven't even reached the 8,000 mark yet. Of course, we only have 2 that violate this rule repeatedly but I think I'll do a few more reminders and then do your rule. BTW, we have one of those toys too. I was never a trekkie but my husband was.

lazy susie said...

Um, actually, Pam, we beamed it over from our house. He was right.