Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My Heart is Singing.....

We've had a couple of hard days with our son L, who lives with SPD. The relaxed summer schedule (ie, late nights), the need to go grocery shopping (ie, a bit of hunger), and the change in routine are probably not helping this particular boy. So those are things for me to work on. But the fact is, regardless of other circumstances, he is easily frustrated and has a hard time dealing with frustration appropriately. It is hard on all of us when he has an especially difficult day ~ and he has had several difficult days in a row. My mother's heart has been heavy for him. Does he know he is loved, in spite of everything?

My husband and I laid in bed this morning before getting up and prayed for him. That we would show him love today in ways that matter to him, and that he would be able to exercise self control and remember some of the coping skills we've been working on. Challenging situations occurred today ~ ample opportunity to practice. Limited success. I did find several moments during the day to demonstrate love, but by bedtime I was exhausted.

What a sweet reward it was to hear these words during his bedtime prayer: "thankyou that I'm mommy's son and thankyou for creating me." He couldn't see my tears, there in the dark, but God saw them. And God heard my heart singing.

7 comments:

Lona said...

Yes. Thank you, Lord...

Prayed that he would continue to feel loved. Prayed for provision.

votemom said...

the HS brought Luke to my mind SO MANY TIMES yesterday and i'm not even kidding. wow. i've been praying for your boy.

Whole Food Pioneer said...

Beautiful prayer. Recently we had a hard day with my DS and he muttered how he takes up space and money. Clearly he needed reminding how much we love him - space and money hadn't even been discussed!

lahbluebonnet said...

Oh that is so sad that he and all of you are still dealing with this. I'm thankful for the breakthrough. Keeping y'all in prayer, as always...
Blessings,
Laurie

Leslie said...

What a sweet answer to prayer! I'm so glad. SPD - sensory processing? Our youngest deals with sensory issues as well too. All that has been going on in our family recently has been hard for him (and him being sick for so long). It is hard.

Thank you for your sweet comments to me and for your prayers. I'm praying for your son and your family.

Blessings
Leslie

Leslie said...

That would be our youngest son. Not our youngest. She thankfully does not have any sensory issues. :-)

Targetshopper: said...

awe, thank you Lord for answered prayer! Thank you so much for L and for the many ways that you are working in him and through him. Thank you for blessing him with such a wonderful mommy and daddy!! Amen.