Thursday, September 30, 2010

Taking Care of Me

I started the summer with good intentions (don't we all?). Really, really good intentions. I was going to be full fledged running by the end of summer. And at least 1o pounds lighter. :-)

I was sidelined by severe heel pain before summer barely got started.

And that was tres discouraging.

I saw a podiatrist, was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, and purchased orthotics. I felt good about finally seeing the Dr, and finally doing something proactive to help my foot. Well, 6 visits and about $300 later, my orthotics still aren't perfect and I have not been overly thrilled with the care I've received. I still have a lot of pain and walking for exercise is among the last 1,000 things I have wanted to do.

So I got a second opinion this week. The second Dr concurred with the diagnosis but contradicted just about everything else the first Dr said. So, for now I am keeping the orthotics (I feel they are helping, just need a bit more tweaking) but doing several other things differently.

Last winter I injured the rotator cuff in my shoulder while shoveling snow, and it has been getting worse and worse. The pain has spread to my neck and has become constant. So I saw my Dr about that too. Since I have lost only minimal range of motion, my Dr recommended seeing a physical therapist and taking mega doses of ibuprofen for a week. I did not know that 400 mg doses or below are considered pain relief doses, while doses of 600 mg or higher are considered anti-inflammatory doses. And I need anti-inflammatory. It will help both my neck/shoulder and my heel. I was hesitant at first about taking so much, but it's only for a week.

Part of me feels guilty spending money on all these Dr visits for myself (we have no insurance at this time so are cash patients), but the truth is, it is very important to take care of myself!! My family needs me. I need to be the best I can be for them. And I tend to let things go too long before taking care of them. Bad, bad, bad.

I am learning how important it is to take care of myself, and to take charge of my own health. If I don't get answers from one Doctor, I need to find one who will give me the info I need. Sometimes the answer is like putting a jigsaw puzzle together. You hunt and hunt for the one piece you need. And once you find it, it's up to YOU to put the whole thing together.

I am hopeful that one more piece of my health puzzle can be answered next week when I see a chiropractor again for the first time in several years. Specifically, I am seeking his opinion on whether or not one leg is truly shorter than the other. We shall see....

BUT, the upshot of all this is that I have recently begun walking again! They are very short walks, but compared to sitting or lying on the couch most of the time with my foot elevated, they demonstrate progress and are amazingly refreshing!! I am thankful!

6 comments:

Teacher/Mom said...

Thank you, Jesus, for making my dear friend Pam. Thank you for all the challenges that you have placed in her path that You are using to melt her and mold her into the woman that you want her to be. I pray that you would give the doctors wisdom to not just take away pain, but to truly cure the problems she is having. Please, Jesus, touch her body and infuse her with Your healing Spirit, that she might be able to be her best for her family. Amen.

Marsha said...

Amen to Teacher/Mom's post. Pam, I wish we were close enough to walk together. I'm thinking I may start seeing how far I can go around the neighborhood next week. Not sure I can go around the block yet, but any start will be more than I've done in MONTHS! Love and miss you!!!

CAB said...

Thankful for you Pam - I pray you will be blessed w/the answers you seek. I, too, need to take better care of myself, but usually put myself on the back burner.

Leslie said...

I'm so sorry you are dealing with such health challenges! You are so right that it is important to take care of yourself - and so easy to neglect when you are caring for others. (((Pam))) Praying you find answers and relief soon! You have a beautiful spirit that shines through in your words. Thank you for your example and encouragement!

Hugs to you!
Leslie

lahbluebonnet said...

I'll be praying for your foot. Last spring I dropped something on my foot which caused it to bruise awfully and me to limp terribly. Long story short my foot has been slow to heal. Recently I bought new sneakers, because the old ones were falling apart. I decided to go ahead and spend more money on a pair of sneakers.They had to be comfortable because of the pain that comes in goes in the toe area,ball of my foot. I found some Nike walking shoes. I've never had a name brand shoe like Nike before. Wow! Comfort! Days later I feel so much better. I hope you are able to work out your orthodics. Curt has the same foot condition and has gone through different ultra sound treatments, braces and is awaiting his orthotics. He is doing much better. I hope you will too.
Blessings,
Laurie

Angela said...

oh, i didn't realize you were dealing with this foot trouble - so sorry for what you are going through and I hope that there has been some progress in what the doctors have been able to do to help with that. I'll be praying!