Friday, February 22, 2008

A Brag on my Husband, and using the TV as a babysitter

I woke up sick yesterday. I woke up sicker today. Today was the last day of the winter session of homeschool co-op (where I teach two classes), and tonight was our closing program. I couldn't even talk. What was I to do? In comes my husband to the rescue. My knight in shining armor. Not only does he get the kids up and ready to go, he gallantly offers to SUB FOR MY CLASSES!!!! I felt so loved. Truly. This was better than a dozen red roses and a box of chocolates.

So I, still in my pj's and with tissue plugs stuffed up my nostrils (how's that for a mental picture???), sat down at the computer and quickly typed up some notes. I also got the display board for my drawing class ready for the closing program tonight so that we wouldn't *have* to go (and we didn't). This showed off all the work my drawing class students have done during the last 8 weeks. And then off they went. On time. Leaving me alone at home where I watched a few minutes of Ellen and then slept for 3 hours.

I am so grateful for a husband who relishes the opportunity to enter his children's world. To participate in what is important to them. And who loves his wife so much he is willing to enter HER world and do, on short notice, what many others would not be willing to do. I am blessed to be his wife. I'm also very grateful that his job is flexible and allows him to do things like this.

When they got home I was in deep sleep mode. He had stopped to get McDonald's lunch for them (more points!). I struggled out of bed to ooh and aah over all they had made today. After lunch I got Little Man to bed for his nap, set up son G on the computer for his one hour of game time, told daughter G she could follow when he was done, put a dvd in for when their computer time was over, and fell back into bed. My hubby finally started work (at home) in earnest at about 2:30 this afternoon.

So the older 4 children were entertained for hours by electronic means today and I don't feel guilty at all. It's a day. Not something we're normally characterized by. They're not going to be warped by one day (are they??).

I woke up this evening at 7:00 to find my children eating Little Caeser's pizza, in front of a roaring fire and The Wizard of Oz. More points for my hubby!

Now I am going to fall back into bed and hopefully feel much better by tomorrow!

7 comments:

Susanne Barrett said...

Yay for your dh! What a guy!

Prayers for you to feel much better very soon, dear Pam! Take care and rest up!

votemom said...

well, i'm glad you are sick NOW and not when it's time for your trip.

so glad that B was able to fill in for you - what a blessing!

feel better soon - don't go full-throttle too soon and have a setback.

Anonymous said...

Way to go B!! I'm so thankful for him and his job and the way that it all worked out! The kids were probably thrilled to have a day like that too. I hope today is full of more relaxing and recuperating.

Lona said...

Wow, Pam, what a guy!

Hoping that you are on the mend by now...

votemom said...

it's monday morning and i'm praying that today you will feel renewed strength to wear all your hats.

Anonymous said...

This is so cool that he did this for you!
Blessings,
Laurie

Beth in Texas said...

How Wonderful! On a different note, I was terrified of the Wizard of Oz as a child (still haven't seen the whole thing). Do any of your children get scared? I was thinking of getting it for them to watch but I don't want to scar them for life (like I was BWG). They are pretty tough and have seen other things that make me think they could take it but I'm just not an objective judge on this.