Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Thankful for our Home

Recently I had occasion to be in a large, beautiful, un-cluttered home. It was a lovely experience! There was plenty of space, high ceilings, beautiful paint colors, lovely furniture, and no papers or schoolbooks cluttering the kitchen counters and table. Not a one! Visually it was a feast. The homeowner was a gracious hostess, freely opening her home and sharing from her plenty. I experienced fleeting thoughts of "if only...." but quickly set them aside and was able to enjoy my time there without comparing. While there, we had fun talking about room arrangements and I picked my hostess's brain about different ways I could arrange our family room. Our family room has always stymied me a bit, because there is really only one place for the couch and I like a little change now and then. :-)

She came up with a great plan and I came home all excited to try it. Wisely, I realized that I would have to broach this subject very carefully with my husband, because at the very least it involved moving the tv, with the possibility of moving it from the family room altogether. I knew this would probably be met with some resistance. So I decided to wait and ponder the plan some more, and pray, and make sure it was something I TRULY wanted before mentioning it to my man.

As I was pondering I thought of several downsides to this new arrangement. It would be visually appealing (in theory at least!) but not completely practical for the way we LIVE. It would cut the family room in half, sortof, not leaving the children much open space to play. It would involve the stretching of extension cords across many spaces where no outlets exist. Ideally it would involve the purchasing of new furniture, which is certainly not going to happen any time soon! It would also involve moving our large IKEA bookcase out of the room, the one we store virtually all of our daily school books and picture books in. I realized that it won't work. At least not yet. It's not compatible with the way we use our home.

We truly LIVE in our home. At any given time there are toys, throw blankets, books, and socks strewn about the floor (what is it with boys ripping off their socks wherever they happen to be?), schoolbooks on the table, piles of things for me to correct stacked on the kitchen island counter, dirty dishes in one side of the sink and clean ones drying in the other side, a bowl of something yummy being mixed up on the counter, laundry sitting on the couch waiting to be folded...... you get the idea. We have 7 people in our family who are all, at this time, in our house 24/7. If you have several children yourself and are not a homeschooler, imagine all of their school books, reference materials, library books, supplies for projects, notebooks, and school supplies making a home in your kitchen. Then add the teacher's desk. That is us!

Would I change it? Not at all. I love our life! I love being home with my children all day every day. I love learning with them, and seeing the light bulbs go on in their heads when they "get it". I love reading together, snuggling on the couch together, comforting the sick ones and watching the healthy ones entertain. I do not love the mess, but I realized that the mess is part and parcel of our chosen lifestyle. If I had the lovely manicured home that never got messed up, that would mean my life was different, and I don't want my life to be different. I love it the way it is!

So for now, the lovely room arrangement will have to wait. The ease with which my family uses our space is more important than any satisfaction I may receive from the new look. There is a time and a season for everything, and this is not the time or season for a beautifully put together interior.

Meditating on Philippians 4 recently, these words struck a chord with me:

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." ~ Philippians 4:11-13

How I thank God for His gift of contentment! Since things have been boiled down to the bare necessities for me, I realize once again how little I truly need to be happy. By God's grace I can say with Paul, I am learning to be content whatever the circumstances. Thank you, Lord.

9 comments:

lazy susie said...

I'm with you. I learned years ago to furnish and decorate our home for OUR needs. We are different, so our home tends to be also.

And you described our home a few yrs ago with the need for open floor space and all that stuff strewn around and all the counters/tables full of our busy days. It will change in a few yrs. Every season is a good season.

votemom said...

homes are to be lived in!!!

i hate to tell you, but my boys STILL pull off their socks and leave them all over the place. it's a DAILY thing. i don't get it. and my girls don't do it. weird.

Adrienne XO said...

During my walk today, I prayed about being content, being truly happy with what I have. So, thank-you for your post today and the verse you included!

Blessings~~
Adrienne from Theological Kids

Amanda said...

It is nice to read about someone who is trying to be content where they are at and not always looking for the "next big thing". I want to live this way too! You are a great example.

Marsha said...

What a joy it is to see the Lord's blessings in your life and that you recognize those blessings in spite of everything else. You are all always in my prayers.

Hugs, Marsha

Beth in Texas said...

You are right about LIVING in your house when you homeschool. I want to declutter some but our house will never look like the homes on HGTV that our kids love because there is nothing in them.

As for the socks thing, the ones in our house fly up into the air and end up on top of fans, bookcases . . . The same thing happens with the rest of their clothes in the bedroom when they change.d

Colleen said...

Pam,

Hi! I saw that you were a follower of Greg's Europe blog and found your blog through that site. I am his younger brother, Scott's wife, just so you know. I have really enjoyed reading about homeschooling on your blog - how you got started, methods, the curriculum, the organization, etc. Thanks for taking the time to share all of your wisdom. We have two baby girls so far (2 and 4 mos) and feel like God is leading us to homeschool eventually. I think it will really work well with our lifestyle and the military moving us around every few years.

It's true that a home is meant to be lived in - a lesson that I feel I relearn constantly. I feel like God is finally leading me to be content with the toys, dishes, laundry, etc., even while encouraging me to be a good steward. Some days, though, I just want to go outside and forget it's there. :)

Thanks again for sharing!

Colleen

Lona said...

I am right there with you. Someday we will have clean houses and we will long for the people who make all this clutter. Right now it's a battle for me to renew my mind and not bow down at the altar of "perfect order"...

5littlewomen said...

How true about our houses being lived in! I struggle with getting upset about it being a mess so I appreciate the reminder to be content. And as for the socks - all of my girls, including myself, will pull our socks off and leave them laying around. My mom says I have done that since day one :-) I like being barefoot in my house.