Monday, March 8, 2010

Reassurance

While tucking our son C in to bed a few weeks ago, he expressed a lot of doubt that he was really going to heaven someday. He confided to me that he often thinks about that while lying in the dark and has trouble falling asleep, even having nightmares about it on occasion. He is the sweetest boy, with the tenderest heart that you'd ever want to meet. He has loved Jesus since he first knew who He was, and trusted Christ to be his Savior over a year ago. But the doubts he's been experiencing are common to many young christians, and he is still young enough that he cannot reason things out well, or begin to think abstractly about things he cannot see and touch and feel.

First I asked him some questions to be sure he understood, as much as possible for his age, Christ taking the punishment for his sin, and his need for a Savior. He did, and he was sure he was a christian. He was adament about that.

So we opened his Bible and went through some verses of assurance, starting with I John 5:11-12. I explained what it meant and we talked about it for awhile. Then we looked at John 10:27-30, and John 3:16 (already very familiar to him). I asked if he would like to highlight those verses and mark them somehow so they would be easy to find. He eagerly said yes.


He keeps his Bible right beside his bed and has been reading the marked verses every night right before going to sleep, and every morning immediately upon waking.


A few days ago he said to me, "it's working mommy, because I don't have those doubts anymore!"

I cannot tell you what a blessing it is to witness the power of God's Word transforming one of my own children.


"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." ~ 2 Timothy 3:16

"For the Word of God is living and active..." ~ Hebrews 4:12

5 comments:

Renee said...

Praise the Lord!!!

Teacher/Mom said...

It's funny, a friend and I were discussing a similar topic at church last week. My eldest has said recently that she was trying to figure out whether she believed in Jesus because we told her to, or if she believed for herself. I think it is a step that is unique to kids raised in Christian homes. They need to embrace their faith on their own merit, not because they trust that their parents are telling them the truth. I think for kids raised with out Christ in their lives, they have more of a "crisis moment" that will make things more solid. But it is a universal experience that must take place in individual lives. Blessings.

Leslie said...

Great job!!! I loved hearing how you encouraged him and also helped him to find it for himself! Well done. (((Pam)))

Blessings
Leslie

PS You can do the 5K! You can!!! I'm routing for you!!! If we lived closer, I'd train with you. I'm not ready for one, but maybe with a friend to do it with me.

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...

Sorry about that! I deleted my double post.

Blessings
Leslie