Wednesday, May 26, 2010

New Challenge

UPDATE:

We survived yesterday! Our a/c actually worked for a portion of the day, and we were able to keep the temperature inside the house under 80 until mid afternoon. We stayed in the basement until it was time to leave for soccer practice, and afterward the children ate lots of popsicles and had a water gun fight. Today it is cooler! Thanks so much for all your helpful suggestions.

Original post:

Remember when our furnace broke last fall, just after my husband got a new job after 9 months of unemployment? Well, now our air conditioner seems to be on the fritz. In the eternal scheme of things, this is not a big deal. But the last few days have been HOT here (nearly 90 degrees with high humidity) and today is supposed to be even hotter. So, we are having a hard time staying cool.

We're praying the a/c unit we have can be fixed, because if it needs to be replaced we're just going to have to be hot this summer (we can afford flowers for the front porch, but not a new a/c unit!). In the meantime, I am making homemade popsicles left and right, we are playing/working outside in the morning and doing schoolwork in our cool basement all afternoon today, the shades are pulled down on the sunny side of the house, and the windows wide open on the shady side, and we have all available fans blowing. Any other suggestions?

10 comments:

votemom said...

make sure everyone is drinking lots of water. it really DOES help the body stay cool. maybe put someone in charge of setting a timer as a reminder to everyone to stop and drink 6 or 8 ounces of cold water.

so sorry about this. but so thankful you live in a home with a basement. what a blessing. can you guys sleep down there?

Teacher/Mom said...

That stinks! I was also going to suggest sleeping downstairs.

I remember as a kid that our house was always dark in the summer because we always had the curtains closed. As much as I like to have the house bathed in sunlight, I have already subscribed to the "dark is cooler" theory that my mom had. My DH likes to have the house cool while he is at home. No matter how expensive it is! His own personal comfort level is important to his mental health, so I comply. But during the day when he is at work, we turn up the thermostat, close the blinds/curtains in all rooms, turn on the ceiling fans to get the air moving, and spend time in the basement.

Rebekah said...

Well, Jungle Java is nice and cool, and I have a coupon for free admission today/tomorrow that I can e-mail you if you'd like :)

Targetshopper: said...

Praying along with you that the a/c can be easily and inexpensively fixed!!!

Lona said...

I'm so sorry! Throw open all the windows at night and put a box fan blowing OUT in one of your windows (if you have a window that big). This will pull the cooler night air INTO the house. Then about 8 in the morning, shut all the windows and pull all the blinds. Forbid the opening of doors (at least as much as possible). Do everything else you've been doing--fans to move the air, live in the basement, etc.

And try to find someone to fix the a/c...

Amanda said...

When we lived in our condo we didn't have central air. Not fun! We considered getting a portable a/c unit, but never did so I don't know much about them. I saw one at Sam's Club; it looked like you could move it around with you from room to room. I hope your a/c is an easy fix!

Dana Leeds said...

Oh, I pray you can get it fixed! We have been without a/c several times... but only for a few days at a time. Anyway, I know it can be miserable! It sounds like you are doing some great things to feel better. I'll say a prayer! And, I don't have any other advice.

Teacher/Mom said...

Just a thought I had on this. With energy costs being so high - and bound to go higher as our President promised that his agenda calls for it - perhaps this is a blessing in disguise. A/C, especially ones older than ten years old, can be very expensive to run. Perhaps this is God's way of ensuring that your energy costs are not beyond your means this summer.

Debbie said...

I am so sorry to hear about your air conditioner. I didn't want to turn ours on but with Tom being laid up and recovering - he was miserable without it on. So I broke down and turned it on. It is mostly the humidity that is so miserable - the temp hasn't been quite as bad here - only in the 80's -- I like it warm. My husband doesn't though.

Another suggestion is to see if you can shop the yard sales and find a window air conditioner. Sometimes you can get those fairly cheap and at least use it to cool off one room. My parents did this when we were growing up and they put it in THEIR bedroom. As kids we thought that was SOOOOOO unfair! Now I totally see the point.

lahbluebonnet said...

Ugh! Well, I know it's possible because I grew up in San Antonio with 100+ degree heat all summer and no AC. It is miserable. I read this yesterday but I don't have any fresh ideas except to live in water as much as possible. Hmmmm, do you have a tent you can put up outside? It's usually cooler in the nighttime, at least in SA, where we got coastal breezes from the gulf. We used to have a pop up camper and sometimes my brother and I preferred to sleep out there. I'll be praying as always...
Blessings,
Laurie