Sunday, November 4, 2007

November is Adoption Awareness Month

I love adoption! Though we have never adopted a child (we were in the process before our oldest child came to be) we do have 2 adopted nephews and 1 adopted niece, numerous friends in real life who have adopted both domestically and internationally, and many more cyber friends who are adoptive parents. As you might imagine, there are many, many, many adoptive parents in the homeschooling community. Maybe it's not a greater number than in the non-homeschooling community, but I'm not as familiar with the non-hs community so I'm not sure. Adoption has always been very dear to my heart, so I was thrilled to learn that November is adoption awareness month.

How aware are you? Do you know any adoptive parents? Adopted kids? Were you adopted? Please spend some time this month praying for adopted children and their parents. It's usually not an easy road, and these families all need our prayers. Recently some friends of ours adopted two little girls and it is fun, eye-opening, fascinating and very moving to stand on the periphery of their lives and observe the dynamics of blending new people into the fabric of their family.

A dear on-line friend of mine is in the process of adopting two boys from Ghana. They already have 6 bio children and 3 boys from Ethiopia, yet their hearts and their arms are ever longing and able to hold more. I have learned that each adoptive family has their own unique story to tell. No two are exactly the same. Each one touches me in its own way. How wonderful to see how the Lord works differently in different families, placing orphans with loving parents, and building families that bring glory to Him!

Here is one adoption website I have really enjoyed. Be sure to click on "happy endings" in the left sidebar!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adoption is so wonderful! My brother and his wife will celebrate one year as adoptive parents later this winter. I can't imagine life without my little niece!

Anonymous said...

My friend had one son and adopted 2 more from Russia, and they all look like brothers! They are homeschoolers.

A Russian friend of my mom immigrated to America after escaping the Bolshevik Revolution and gowing up in China and married an American GI and had a son who lives here. He and his wife went back to her hometown to adopt, got a boy and ran into family and saw old family photos! They are not homeschoolers.
Blessings,
Laurie

Anonymous said...

I spent 40 mins on that Adoption website you cited. The family that runs that agency is incredible. Those little children are so precious. Thanks for sharing the website.

Kendra