Friday, November 16, 2007

Sew Crafty Friday


It's Sew Crafty Friday again, and this week I actually have something to share!! If you would like to know more about Sew Crafty Friday, please click on the button in my right sidebar. This week both my daughter and I made things. G wanted to use some leftover felt from Halloween costumes to make a new quiver for her arrows. She planned the project and cut it out herself. I showed her how to pin the trim on, and showed her how to use the machine, and she did the rest! In the second picture she is wearing her brother's indian costume, but the quiver is hers. She thought it would "display" better if she were in full regalia. :-)




When the crud hit our house on Monday night I was hopeful I would still be able to sew the colonial dress I had planned on making for co-op today, and for our unit celebration in December. When the crud continued through Wed night/Thursday morning I realized there simply would be no time, since it wasn't even cut out yet! So I modified the pattern and sewed just a long skirt. It isn't as authentic, but it's something. After encouraging my students in colonial america class to dress up, I couldn't show up in modern clothes.
I picked up the pattern from my local JoAnn's when they were selling Butterick patterns for $1.99 each, and the fabric is actually an old sheet that I bought at Salvation Army thrift store for $2.00. So for $4 I now have a long skirt that can be used for a variety of costumes!


When it's late at night and the project needs to be D.O.N.E. I am all about finding shortcuts. So instead of a zipper, here's my method of closing the skirt:


Not a good picture of the skirt, but a cute picture of me with our 2 year old, don't you think? :-) This was taken during his Thanksgiving feast at co-op this morning. He was an indian in case you can't tell!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pam, I don't know what your original costume was supposed to look like, but from what I've learned in the last few years, this take on the skirt might be more authentic! At least from a Pilgrim perspective! Neat how you and I both shared frugal tips in our sewing! Good work for your dd! You too! =)
Blessings,
Laurie