Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Lesson 74

We are using How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons right now with our 7 year old son C, who is in second grade. We started with lesson 1 a year ago and have been leisurely working our way through the book. This book uses a rather ingenious method of including words in the story that the child would not be able to sound out phonetically. They put the letters the child can sound out in large type, and the "silent" letters that are there just for spelling purposes in small type. They also put lines over the vowels when they are to make their long sound. For example, the word "teach" would look like teach, with a line over the "e". So the child gets used to seeing the correct spelling of more advanced words, but is still able to read them by sounding out.

Today we got to lesson 74.

Lesson 74 is when they stop using different sized type and print the words of each story exactly as they would appear in a regular book. None of the helpful cues from lessons 1-73. It's the big league! Son C was very excited about this lesson and did a great job reading the story! He eagerly asked me to videotape it and put it on my blog so his Washington grandparents could hear him reading. :-)

So here is C, reading some of lesson 74 (I started videotaping about halfway in).





5 comments:

Teacher/Mom said...

Way to go C! Sounds awesome! You can come read to us anytime. I've got two little ones here who love to listen to every book they can find. Keep up the good work.
Blessings.

Jennifer said...

Great job, C (and Pam)!

Rebekah said...

That sounds like a great program! I remember doing phonics (did I even spell that right??) in 1st grade, and I even started teaching it to an adult student at school who wanted to be able to read words that she hadn't seen before.

Since I'm working on Monday and Wednesday afternoons and my parents are no longer here, we have the pleasure of paying for baby sitters. After taxes, we're not making much money on the teaching, but I was able to pick up a couple tutoring hours on Monday so that helps.

Amy Horning is babysitting on Wednesdays, and I am so excited about that. Mark's best friend from high school moved to Ypsilanti last year and just got married, and his wife is watching the kids on Mondays. (I just don't feel up to getting the kids out of the house and dropping them off two days a week.)

The reason I took the class is to get back in the rotation, and I'm confident that I can get night classes from here on. That will be nice!

Leslie said...

Great job!!! That is a sweet thing when they learn to read, isn't it?

Thanks for your prayers and encouragment of me. I do appreciate them and am thankful for you!

Blessings
Leslie

lahbluebonnet said...

I am glad this hurdle was a positive experience for him!
Blessings,
Laurie