Friday, September 18, 2009

REAL moms

Two nights ago we had our first REAL moms (formerly MOPS) meeting of the year. It is a really huge part of my life but I realized that I have rarely blogged about it. I have been in MOPS off and on for 12 years, the last 5 of which have been in leadership. It has become my primary means of ministry outside my own home. I am really passionate about this ministry, enabling tired and weary mothers of young ones to connect with each other, to realize they are not alone, to realize that they still MATTER as a woman and not just a mom, and that they need the peace and love and joy that only Jesus can give. I have seen some amazing things happen during my years in MOPS. Hard things. Happy things. God things.

This summer, both our morning and evening MOPS programs made the decision to end our relationship with MOPS Int'l and run the same program, with a different name, under the sponsorship of our own church. The primary reason is that it saves our moms money, and everyone is feeling the financial pinch these days. MOPS Int'l is a fantastic organization and I have been forever impacted by their ministry in my life. But there is a time for everything under the sun, and this was the time for change.

Our new name is REAL moms. Isn't that a great name? I am very excited about our year. The women (about half returning and half new) chattered away like old friends within minutes, and there was a buzz of talking, laughter, and energy just filling our room on Wed. What a great first night! It was tons of work for all of us to get ready, and alot of work for me personally on the very first night, but after this my job gets easier as we have speakers virtually every meeting and they handle the bulk of our time together.

I think God is just amazing. His plans are intricate and incredible and impossible to dream up on my own. I wouldn't have put this group of women together in a hundred years, but He did. And it is good. Many of the moms work outside the home full time. A few more work part time. A couple are single moms. Several are adoptive moms. Some are quite young (young enough, literally, to be my daughters!) and some are.....not so young. :-) Some have children still all in diapers. Some have not had to change a diaper in many years. Some know and love Jesus. Some don't know what it means to have a personal relationship with the God of the universe. But they choose to come, and they choose to relate, and they choose to stay. God is good!

Lord, I offer my work in REAL moms as an offering of worship to you, for you are worthy, and awesome and amazing. Thank you that you love each woman who comes so very much, and want to show her your love. Thank you for bringing such a varied and interesting group of women together. Please knit our hearts together, and help us to build safety and trust. Give us the opportunity to build on that trust by sharing your love and truth with the women who do not yet know you. And sustain each woman in your grace, as they have need. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of such an awesome thing you are doing. I love you, Lord.

2 comments:

Marsha said...

Amen!

lahbluebonnet said...

I'm glad you are enjoying this change. When my kids made me MOPS candidate, the church we attended in North Texas had broken with MOPS to do MOMS. However I rarely attended because ds was atn the hospital most times. When we moved to SA the church had MOPS but my kids were now too old for MOPS. There were other studies but no provision for homeschool kids. Such is the case now. So I haven't really done a ladies group since before kids. I suppose if there is a need, the Lord will provide. I am glad for all the individual study materials that are accessible these days. =)
Blessings,
Laurie