Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Proof Positive that we met Andrew Pudewa!

Last week we were privileged to participate in a day of writing classes with Andrew Pudewa, founder of Institute for Excellence in Writing. Pictured here are my older 3 children and my friend Sally's older two.


Sally and I and another friend will be having a small IEW co-op this year, where we work through some lessons taught by Andrew on dvd, and then work to create our own masterpieces. Each week the students will have the opportunity to share with the class their writing from the previous week, as well as continue on with additional stories as they each write every day at home. I'm very excited about it!

Meanwhile, the youngest siblings will be having a "young 5's" class. We can't call it kindergarten because Little Man is not yet in kindergarten, and we can't call it preschool because the other two little friends ARE in kindergarten. So we decided to call it young 5's. Our son C, who is 7, chose to be a helper in the young 5's class and he is very excited about making applesauce next week! (of course we're starting out with "A is for apple" ~ that's just too good not to use!)

We thoroughly enjoyed our day learning from Mr. Pudewa and I am so thankful that we discovered IEW!

3 comments:

Dana Leeds said...

An IEW co-op (and young 5's) sounds like fun! I met Andrew Pudewa last year... we were at a homeschool convention and he choose our table to eat at. I really enjoy his stuff and we just re-started using IEW this year. I think it'd be a great curriculum to use in a group!

lahbluebonnet said...

I've never had a chance to meet him. How neat! Great co-op idea! I had so much trouble getting on a roll at Manassas, due to misdirection, etc, I was thinking I could have driven 2.5 hours to CW and been having fun already. The kids and I were actually bored by a lot of the presentations. Therefore, I decided not to share about any of them. There were also a few issues with the reenactors. The silver lining was the stuff I wrote about. The day just got off to a bad start when the NPS had us go through weedy areas, which had chiggers, ticks and lice, and there were more to come. DS found chigger bites on his knee and frustrated with that and a boring presentation, we just left. For weeks, my husband horribly suffered from chiggers all over his body last month. When I got back to the beginning of the trail, I told the park ranger we were walking on the busy road, not the weedy field to get to the parking area. He tried to talk me out of it but I became a "Stone-wall" of resistance. He led the way along the busy road to protect us. It was a frustrating day. I've been to a lot of places around here and I recently e-mailed my CW friend that CW spoils their guests. It's hard going anywhere else. But we keep trying! I had trouble objectively writing that piece.
Blessings,
Laurie

lazy susie said...

And I just got invited to a party for Indiana Jones/Han Solo.