Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Book Review

Recently a friend gave me a book to read called Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe. I thought, hmmm, this title sounds interesting but I really don't think I am believing lies. It was a thin book, would be an easy read, so I picked it up last weekend and started in. Finished it the next day! It was quite compelling, and I had to agree that I have, at one time or another, believed every lie in the book.

I highly recommend this book for all my homeschooling friends, and for my non-homeschooling friends it might be interesting and show you ways to encourage your homeschooling friends. You can find the book here.

The Lord, in His mercy and longsuffering, is helping me to be "real". I truly want to be. It has been harder for me to be real to my non-homeschooling friends than to my fellow homeschoolers. I think this is because I know that fellow hs'ers can understand completely what we go through, both the highs and the lows, whereas if I share about a really bad day with my non-hs'ing friends, they are more likely to tell me to just put my kids in school! (This has actually happened to me by the way. If you have heard about a bad day we've had and have not said this to me, you are not the friends I am talking about!). That is not what I need to hear. It minimizes the commitment we have made to home educate, and ignores the fact that classroom teachers also have really bad days. What do you say to them, "just stay home"?

I'm glad I read this book. Thank you Amy, for passing it along to me! The homeschool cartoons scattered throughout the book gave my hubby and I quite a chuckle too. I give it two thumbs up!

2 comments:

votemom said...

i respect and admire your decision to homeschool your kids. i hope i have never offended you with ignorant comments.

i welcome being educated about things i don't know about. so speak up if i'm assuming something that just isn't so, or if i am saying something that is just wrong.

i don't know what the future holds for the education of my youngest children. time will tell!

BlessingintheBattle said...

I truly admire those who choose/feel led to homeschool. It has to be the most challenging job in the world. This book looks very interesting--I may have to check it out as we are determining the path to take in education our babies. I so appreciate hearing about your experiences...you give such a wonderful look into the life of a homeschooling family and I thank you for sharing it with us all!