Monday, January 21, 2008

Friday Co-op

We are back at our homeschool co-op for winter session, and have had 2 weeks of it so far. The children all seem to like their classes, and I am impressed and thankful for what they are learning there that we don't cover at home. For instance, I don't do any grammar with our kindergartener, but at co-op he's in a "grammar rock" class based on the schoolhouse rock dvd's. He comes home each week so excited about nouns and verbs, and singing the little jingles from the dvd. Who knew that 5 year old's could love grammar?!

8 year old G's favorite class is another science one called "Light and Prisms". He loves anything resembling science!

Our oldest is in a ceramics class which she loves, and also continued in a class called "Kids of Courage" where they learn about christian children who live in countries openly hostile to christianity. She participates in great discussions in that class, and is learning a bit about other religions of the world and what distinguishes christianity from all others. This class is based on the "Kids of Courage" magazine that is put out by Voice of the Martyrs. I highly recommend this magazine. You can sign up to receive it here.

I am teaching two classes, a drawing class for older kids and a music and movement class for younger children. In my drawing class I have 2 fifth graders, a sixth grader, and 2 eighth graders. They all want to be there and it is a joy to teach them! I have 12 wiggly younger ones in my music and movement class, and we are having a lot of fun doing activities that teach about body awareness, eye-hand coordination, teamwork, and lots of sensory experiences. As I am continuing to learn about sensory processing disorder I am incorporating some of what I learn into this class, and trying to give all the children a rich sensory "diet". It's really fun, and two of my boys are in this class with me.

Fridays are tiring, but worth it. Co-op is a such a huge blessing to our family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful you get to incorporate some SI into your co-op!
Blessings,
Laurie