Sunday, June 26, 2011

Spiritual Milestone

Today was a special day for our family. Three of our boys were baptized. And my husband baptized them! According to the Bible, baptism is a public proclamation of faith in Christ, and an act of obedience after receiving Christ's free gift of salvation. Sons G, L, and C each took this step with joy and solemnity, understanding it was a significant milestone in their spiritual journey.

As I was watching them during the baptism, a part of my heart went back to the day(s) each of them were dedicated to the Lord as infants. Along with other couples, my husband and I stood on the very same platform with our new son in our arms, and promised before our church family to train our child in the knowledge and ways of God. On that day I could not see 12, 11, and 9 years into the future and see their baptism day. But I dreamed of it. Hoped for it. Prayed for it.

I reflected on the years that my children have grown up in our church ~ learning about faith and how to apply it to every day life. Watching dear people from our church family go through struggles and heartaches, and seeing their faith in action. Being taught in Sunday School and Awana by wise and experienced christian adults. Learning to serve, and think of others. All of that was in the future when we stood on the platform with our infant. But now, years later, I can see the working out of the promises that were made that day. The promise we made to teach our child about Jesus, and the promise our church family made to help us in that task.

Wonderful as this milestone today is, each of our boys' spiritual journeys will continue. We will continue teaching them about Jesus, and our church family will continue partnering with us as we do so. Such a picture of the living, breathing, fluid, dynamic journey that is our christian walk. I am so grateful for my family and for my church family!

My heart is full.

2 comments:

Teacher/Mom said...

Praise Jesus! So happy to see your boys growing in their faith, and that the Father is leading them. It is a beautiful thing to watch a baptism - no matter who it is - it always brings tears to my eyes. Blessings.

Angela said...

tears in my eyes! another precious milestone in the walk of faith that you are guiding your children on!