Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Blessing Day turned into "Afternoon at the ER"

Shortly after lunch, as we were about to take our little friend back to his house, our daughter fell while doing a handstand and her foot landed on the metal frame of her brother's bed, slicing it open nearly to the bone. There are some pics at the bottom of this post, so if you're squeamish you'll want to avoid them.

Honestly, it looked horrible. There was quite a bit of blood at first, and we saw white inside, which we thought was bone (turned out not to be). I felt afraid but was trying to remain outwardly calm for all the little people. I loaded everyone into the van, returned our little friend to his home, and headed to the pediatric ER about 30 minutes away. Our daughter got a wheelchair ride into the ER from the parking lot, which she thought was pretty cool. We got a room right away where our children (including the injured girl) were soon mesmerized by cartoons on a cable station, something we don't have at home!

Our daughter was such a trooper all afternoon. I am very proud of her. She was slightly disappointed that she only got 3 stitches to show for it. We thought there'd be at least 20! I am so thankful it wasn't worse. We did have a long wait for those 3 stitches (and have to return to the ER to have them removed in 2 weeks. They were adament that we had to return to THEM to take them out) but everyone was well behaved and even Little Man, who was missing his nap, behaved like a perfect little gentleman. By the end, though, everyone was very tired and very hungry.

I predict an easy school day tomorrow with naps in the afternoon. :-) And though I would never wish an injury on any of my children, I am thankful that it happened to one of our kids and not our little friend!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How in the world did you stop the bleeding? DS was playing in his bedroom with dh years ago. He fell backward and hit his head and had to get stitches in his head. We didn't have any metal in the room. I sent dh to the ER with him. Well I guess we all went and I sat in the waiting room with dd. It's all a blur now. I am praying you all have a peaceful night!
Blessings,
Laurie

votemom said...

i'm so thankful that G is ok. so thankful!

Anonymous said...

ouch. I'm so sorry! I'm glad that she is ok! I hope it isn't too sore today and that the easy day goes well for you.

votemom said...

hope G is still doing ok... no sign of infection?

wishing you a happy weekend!