Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Conversation with our Daughter

This week I taught our daughter a new "dress-up" to use in her writing. We discussed strong verbs, that is, verbs that have more impact because they are not over-used. Then we started a banned words list. She can no longer use the words "go/went" or "say/said". She must use synonyms for these words. I could tell that she felt very grown up to learn this, but also that she was struggling a bit with thinking of suitable synonyms.

8 year old G: What is this pink posterboard for?

Daughter: It's for my banned words.

8 year old G: What are banned words?

Daughter: They are words I can't use anymore when I'm writing. See, I learned about strong verbs and we're going to write the weak verbs on this posterboard and then list other words to use instead. And I have FIVE dress ups now that I have to put into each paragraph!

Me, smiling.

Daughter: Why are you smiling like that?

Me: I'm just smiling because you're getting older and are learning so much about how to write well.

Daughter: Yeah, but it's kindof hard.

Me: I know, but you're ready for it to be harder. After all, you'll be in middle school next year.

Daughter, with a horrified look on her face: Middle School????? Please don't make me go to middle school!!!

Me, realizing she thought I meant she'd go to a brick and mortar school: Oh sweetie, I meant you'd be in middle school at home. Daddy and I would never decide to send you to a classroom school without talking with you first.

Daughter, much relieved: Oh, good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing for your dd to be content with homeschooling while learning so much. What a wonderful mom/teacher you are!
Blessings,
Laurie

Lona said...

What a scary thought...middle school!

Have a great day!