Saturday, October 13, 2007

Another Great Day at Co-op!

We had another great day at co-op yesterday. In electricity class, G and L learned about static electricity and did a couple of experiments in class that they couldn't wait to come home and show daddy and me! In this picture, the static electricity from the balloon (rubbed on their hair) is bending the stream of water. Cool! (ignore the dirty dishes)



In my Colonial America class, we played a game from colonial days called nine pins (forerunner of our game of bowling) which I had purchased while in Williamsburg. We also scooped out a pumpkin. I roasted the seeds last night and will take them to class next Friday. There are 3 girls and 9 boys in my class. The girls couldn't wait to get their hands dirty and start scooping! 4 of the boys would have nothing to do with the messy pumpkin. :-)

When we got home, A sat down on the piano bench with a hymn book and began "preaching". It was so cute! I wish I had taken some video of it, but here is a still shot.


C had to miss co-op though due to having croup. He stayed home with daddy, who worked from home yesterday. C had a fever, some wheezing, and a very barky sounding cough. He ended up sleeping with us most of the night last night. I was glad that he was next to me so that I could more easily monitor his breathing through the night, but I really wish we had a king size bed! I'll admit it, croup scares me. Our son G has had croup numerous times. Most of the time we have been able to treat it with "temperature therapy." Sit in the bathroom with the door closed and the shower on hot, creating steam. And then stick his head in the freezer, or if it's cool, drive around with all the windows rolled down. But twice we have had to take him to the ER for steroids and breathing treatments. It is pretty scary when your child can't breath. Experiencing croup so many times had made me very thankful that none of our children suffer with asthma.

Today we are repairing the ceiling in one of the boys' rooms where the old roof leaked. The roofers took out wet insulation from under the rotted wood. So we have to replace the insulation and put in new drywall in that part of the ceiling. Hopefully my wonderful husband will also have time to put in metal exhaust pipe from our dryer to the outside. The dryer repairman who was here earlier this week told me it was extremely important to get rid of our plastic exhaust hose. Since we already have all the parts, he offered to do it for $80 (on top of a $200 dryer repair) but I declined the offer. :-)

Have a good weekend everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to show that trick with the balloon/water to Kiren. He loves science! I hope C feels better. Breathing problems scare me too. Both of my kids have asthma but surprisingly have never had croup. I'm knocking on wood now.

Lona said...

Prayed for health for C and all of you. I hate the sound of that coughing...

Love the photo of the little preacher! May it be according to your plan, oh Lord.

Anonymous said...

My dd had croup a lot when she was a toddler. It scared me too! Sitting in a steamy bathroom scared her. The best treatment for her was to lay her on the couch and turn on Barney. Then she'd calm down and stop coughing. That doesn't make sense but that's how it worked for her. Even now when she coughs just to clear some dust from her throat or something, it sounds like croup. But she's perfectly healthy and it's usually the only cough of the day. Well, praying he'll feel better real soon!
Blessings,
Laurie