Thursday, October 4, 2007

Fantasy vs. Reality

You know that stage that kids go through when they begin to distinguish the difference between fantasy and reality? Our son C is just beginning to learn this distinction. It got me to thinking about my own life, and how reality often does not match my mental fantasies.

This has been a week of reality.

In my fantasy world my house is reasonably clean most of the time, things that get put away STAY put away, and my counters which I worked so hard to clean last month are still clean. The reality is that my house is a pit most of the time, things rarely if ever stay put away, and my counters are cluttered with all kinds of piles.

In my fantasy world I have weekly menus filled out, and we always eat on time. The reality is that I actually DO have weekly menus some weeks!!!! But not all weeks (this week has been one of the latter). And we often eat at 7:00 or a tad later so that we can eat with daddy.

In my fantasy world I am thin and have lots of energy. The reality is that I am an overweight middle aged woman who is energy challenged.

In my fantasy world I get up "while it is still dark" (aka, Prov. 31) and spend an hour in prayer and Scripture reading before the rest of the family is awake. The reality is that I can barely drag myself out of bed to get a shower in, and some days my Bible reading consists of reading it outloud to the children during Bible time at school.

In my fantasy world my children are always well-behaved, naturally think of others before themselves, and are exceedingly kind and thoughtful. The reality is that my children are imperfect human little sinners, and they tend to pick up imperfect human sinful behaviors from me. Our 5 year old son C, who has always been an exceptionally loving and sweet child, has either had 13 bad days in a row, or he has entered a new stage that involves being contrary and a general pest all the time. I'm hoping it's the former but afraid that it is the latter.

When I read over this list it's rather depressing! But there are other realities as well. The reality is that God made me, He knows me better than I know myself, He died to forgive me of all the imperfect human sins I commit. The reality is that He loves me no matter what, He is using the circumstances of my life to mold and shape me into HIS "fantasy" woman (which is obviously very different than my fantasy for myself, but His is better!!). The reality is that I can trust Him. Period. The reality is that at times when there seems to be no rest, HE is my rest. As I live and breath and work and teach IN Him, He restores my soul.

I say, Praise God for reality!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you have hit the nail on the head for most of us. =) I think my most difficult area is getting meals done for us. It used to be so easy! Sometimes I get a menu made...but then it never seems to work due to the helter skelter of our life. I was taking pictures the other day. I confess I cleaned all the areas I took pictures of our house, so I could showcase dh's handiwork, that I posted the other day. But my desk I left messy for a future picture I'll post when I start blogging about our school room. Now that my kids are older, it is easier to keep things clean overall, but the school room has ongoing books, projects and papers everywhere. And my dh is frustrated my sewing projects (like our medieval costumes) are on the dining room table, but he admits there is no where else for me to spread out to do this. But on the other hand, it is more difficult to find time to clean house because they need me for their higher level classes which are more time consuming than previous years. It's almost a never ending battle. In the end, it is important to separate it all into two piles...the one that will eventually burn and the one that will last for eternity, and work from there. Sounds like you have that figured out!
Blessings,
Laurie

votemom said...

i took pix of my house at 9 pm last night. i will email them today if i have time. they will make you feel better ;o)

Pam said...

Votemom, I'd love to see them! Anything to make me feel better. :-)

Anonymous said...

I don't think that you know that I read your blog, but I do. I can get to it once or twice a week and I couldn't help myself and had to comment on this one. You have always inspired me. If anyone knows what I am going through day to day it's you. Thanks for this blog. It made me actually feel NORMAL. You are right, the Lord knows us best. I truly believe that the Lord gave me these four children to raise and nurture. He knows me and He knows my intentions. I think that is the best comfort of all. Thanks, Pam

Kendra G.