Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thoughts on Slowing down the pace of life

Fasten your seatbelts, this will be long. I have been pondering and praying over this topic for several months now, and have also been reading a wonderful book on this topic titled, Breathe, creating space for God in a hectic life (see sidebar for author).

There are actually several related elements that have all globbed together in my mind under this general topic. How do I create margin in my life? From where do I obtain my value? (from the things I do?) How does overcrowding my life create stress? And how does stress manifest itself in my life? How do I do it all? And by "all" I don't mean the the kind of all that has become associated with being a supermom, I mean quite literally all of the things I have committed to and all of the tasks that are required of me on a daily basis.

I will say right now that I don't know all the answers to these questions. I know that I am learning, though. I am working through many of these issues and slowly finding the "how" of creating space in my life and the life of our family. I have a long way to go!

The author of Breathe asserts that our culture is one that is focused on doing. I agree with this. Once we become parents it seems to become worse. We take our children to music lessons, karate, soccer, ballet, youth group or Awana, group music classes when they are toddlers or preschoolers. There is tremendous pressure to be sure our children are doing everything they "should" be doing, and having every opportunity they can possibly have to become well rounded individuals. Those of you with children, you know the drill! I made a conscious decision last spring to not do any fall sports. It was a HARD decision and one I felt I had no support for, but it was absolutely the right thing to do. When everything else was starting up this fall, we did not have the added stress of twice weekly practices (times 3 kids) and 3 back to back soccer games every Saturday. Do my kids miss soccer? Yes. Will they be warped because they didn't get to play this fall? No.

I have adopted a cost/benefit paradigm for deciding what activities we will be involved in. Every activity or commitment has both a cost and a benefit. If the benefit outweighs the cost, we are more likely to do it. If the cost outweighs the benefit then it's an easier "no". Going to Wed night programs at our church costs us on Thursday mornings, and costs me on those nights when I must get 5 little people to where they need to be on time by myself, but the benefit of regular Scripture memory is great enough that it's worth the cost. Going to homeschool co-op on Fridays costs me a great deal of time in preparation for my classes and means we lose that day for our regular school work, but the benefit of learning from other adults, making friends, my children knowing they are not the only ones who are homeschooled, and me getting to teach in a classroom setting for a little bit every week is worth the cost.

I am also learning to think in terms of what is best for our FAMILY, and not necessarily for the individual. One of our sons has wanted to learn karate for as long as he can remember, and I'm fairly certain that it would be something he would thrive at, but the cost TO OUR FAMILY (and our pocketbook) dictates that we not add another activity at this time. It is hard to say "no" to my children when they have a legitimate desire for a good activity. It's hard to break out of that mindset that says I am depriving them of a worthwhile experience. But it's not enough to just break out of that mindset without replacing it with "right thinking". I am striving to think rightly about all of this, and I believe that the "right thinking" I need to apply here is that it is of greater value to all of the individuals in our family if we have TIME to be together as a family, playing games, going to the park, visiting museums and other attractions, watching movies, laughing and being silly, sharing our thoughts with each other. When we overschedule to the point that we have no downtime with each other, no chances to just hang out as a family with all the family members present, we are ultimately hurting ourselves.

My heart knows this is right, and even my head knows this is right. But virtually no-where else do I hear this message. There is precious little encouragement for families to proactively plan their lives in such a way as to allow for unplanned time. Sometimes I feel that I am bucking the system, and this gets tiresome because I am already bucking the system in other ways. But I know this is right for us. Please pray for me to stay the course! I know it will get even harder as our children get older, but my prayer is that as we live our lives in this way, our children will get on board with this concept and appreciate it for themselves.

This is already long, but I want to share a few other thoughts along these same lines. I am a do-er by nature. I have always loved to do lists. I have even been known to write something on my to-do list after the fact just so that I could cross it off because it had already been done! (there's my slightly obsessive-compulsive side showing!) So it's hard for me to "do nothing." I'm a slow learner, but thank the Lord I *am* learning that those times that appear to be "unproductive" are actually producing wonderful times of connection, with God, or with family. The author of Breathe goes into this in quite a bit of detail and it was a real encouragement to me.

Something else she says in the book is that "getting enough sleep is one way of keeping enough margin in our lives." Wow. This is powerful for me! If you know me, you know that getting enough sleep has been a challenge all my adult life (for some reason it didn't seem to be a problem when I was a kid!). So this is something I plan to keep working on.

Another of her wonderful quotes that I just love is, "ruthlessly eliminate hurry." Just think on that for a moment. Isn't that good? For those of you in the same stage of life as me, with children still young enough to need lots of help and/or supervision when getting ready to go somewhere.....isn't this powerful?? How many times have I yelled at the kids and tried to make them go as fast as I can when we are leaving the house to go somewhere? Yikes. Too many. My new plan has been to BEGIN getting ready to go long before I previously thought I had to. Then we are not rushed. I am not yelling. I am not stressed. And we are on time! It has taken lots of failures to learn exactly how much time is needed to get ready to go to certain places. But now I know. And I am working diligently on this.

My last thought on this topic (finally!) is that it's important for me to keep the right goal in mind. The ultimate goal is not just to eliminate hurry and stress and activities from our schedule. It is the flip side of that equation....to intentionally ADD IN times of doing nothing, of being together without having to go somewhere. So that I can truly focus on and connect with my husband and our precious children. Aren't they the ones I treasure above all else? This idea works wonderfully in my time with God too. Rather than approaching my devotional time with the mindset that I must read x number of verses or chapters today, I want to simply enter God's presence and BE with Him. Bask in His awesomeness, revel in His goodness and faithfulness, soak up all the strength and grace I need for the day just by being in His presence. Again, I have a long way to go, but I'm loving this learning process!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on slowing down the pace of life, too.

5 comments:

votemom said...

i agree wholeheartedly. and it's something we have intentionally done with all of our children.

i have zero regrets.

it's the "experiential" vs. the "relational".

it won't matter one bit that my son only played one sport in middle school and high school....

it will matter that he had lots of evenings home with his family and there was tons of time to just hang out in the family room talking and laughing with his siblings.

i want my kids' memories to be of their family life.... not just memories of teams and classes.

i'm of course not saying the "experiential" is bad. it's just not as important.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you posted this! I think it is a subject that all mothers ponder often. I do agree wholeheartedly as well and often get a lot of grief for "bucking the system" too, especially from my family.

I am not so much a "doer" and would be completely happy to be at home with nothing to do for weeks on end. However, I know the "cost" of that is higher than the benefit and so we did add some things last year. They have been a tremendous blessing. Now this year, Ki wants to add even more and I am already having some panic attacks. I think that I am so afraid of over-scheduling that I tend to want to say no to everything, even things that are beneficial. This is not healthy either.

So I do think it is a constant balancing act and does change frequently as things are presented to us. I love the way you describe the cost/benefit paradigm and also thinking about what is best for the entire family. I also like what votemom said about the experiential/relational way of looking at it too.

John Ortberg spoke about this at the MOPS convention and he said there is a difference between being BUSY and being HURRIED. He said that busy isn't necessarily bad, in fact, Jesus was busy. He had things to get done, places to be, etc. BUT hurried, that is an inward state; a heart matter. It's a heart matter that keeps us from hearing Jesus and hinders our spiritual life. We need to strive to erase the hurriedness from our busyness. This seems similar to what is in Breathe. Did she quote John Ortberg or did he quote her? Either way, it's good stuff.

Ok, obviously I like this subject! Sorry, this is almost as long as your post. Yikes. I just agree with you so much and support your thoughts and want you to know that you are not alone. Thank you again for posting this! It's definitely something that I'm thinking through right now and this is extremely timely in helping me make those decisions!

Anonymous said...

Pam, I couldn't agree more. I had seen that you've been reading this book and I've been interested in it. I'm the one around here seriously taking a look at things and try to slow us down. Dh however....well, we are in the middle of the bathroom remodel, and the kids and I went to Gruene without him. That's typical for us. Not the way I prefer....but what can I do but pray and leave it in the Lord's hands. I usually sit and wait and wait and wait for dh and get into despondency and this time I made up my mind to just have fun and the kids and I had the best time. MIL was actually so proud of me for doing that. Dh did slow down to spend time with me Tues night. Since we are always so busy, I use birthdays and holidays as an excuse to do more of nothing and being together!
I wanted to ease you mind a bit about to-do lists. Scientifically, scientists have found that when an item is checked off a to-do list, these little endorphines burst out into a happy dance, so that's why you like it! =) I learned last week my children were not checking off their school schedule so I've told them to start doing that so their brain could do a happy dance! lol'
I would have to heartily agree about a full night sleep!!!!
I may have older children, but they still need supervision and that just drains me. They are sort of late bloomers, so I have to toss that into the calculation of how busy to be and encourage dh that our kids will be fine in the end.
Great thoughts that you posted!!! Oh and thank you for the sweet TLT comment!
Blessings,
Laurie

Pam said...

Votemom: So glad to hear that you have no regrets! I have always thought of your family as a "close family" - probably due in large part to putting relationships above experiences. And you said it so much more succinctly than I!

Targetshopper: So glad to know I'm not alone! I agree with you that it is a balancing act. All activities/experiences are not bad. Knowing who to cater to at any particular time is tricky. There have been times that only one child did a certain thing and we all went along and watched and cheered. It was good for that person and it was good for our family too. Then other times it's better to do "nothing."

I don't recall that Keri Wyatt Kent quoted John Ortberg, but perhaps she did. Maybe the H.S. is giving both of them the same message! I completely agree with the distinction between busy and being hurried. Totally different. I'm trying to get rid of the hurried feeling around here, particularly when we are leaving to go somewhere, since that's the time it affects us the most. We're not too hurried during the day at home. :-)

Laurie: Thanks for your encouragement about to do lists! I knew there was a reason I liked them so much!! :-) It is hard for me too when I realize my dh has different priorities at a particular time, but that helps keep me humble and flexible and on my knees. All good things. :-) I hope your bathroom remodel gets done SOON. Your dh sounds like a project kind of guy.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with all you said - a big amen to it all. I read that book as well and have been reading it in stages with my hubbie - skipping parts but hitting the highlights. I have really been trying to eliminate hurry. I realized after reading that book that everywhere I go I was hurrying someone! Mainly because they move slow so I guess I was thinking we needed to move faster. Now I'm trying to just slow my pace down so they aren't rushed. Starting earlier helps adn I need to do that more. And saying no to things that I can say no to. It definitely isn't popular but it is the right choice for my family. My husband has really noticed the change these past few months that I have time and energy for him and the kids have enjoyed less pushing and rushing. There is much less yelling too. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. And I love what target shopper shared about the difference between busy and hurried. Nothing wrong with being busy and Jesus does call us to do a lot of thigns that we woudln't necessarily do in our own comfort zones. And there are times that we do need to show our kids that we are involved and helping others and sometimes that does mean that we need to sacrifice family time to do things for others. Good stuff. I needed that reminder this week. Sorry I'm responding to blogs so far after the fact. I've given up my personal computer time to spend more time with the family in the evening but the girls have a friend over, J is out doing some Christmas shopping on his own and I'm here at the computer enjoying your blog to the fullest! I learn so much from you!
Angela