Thursday, October 18, 2007

Shared Journal

Just before our daughter turned 8, when she had become reasonably good at the physical aspect of writing, I started a shared journal with her. I really wanted there to be a written record of how much I loved her and of our relationship in general. The written word is so very powerful because we can go back to it again and again. We have had the journal going now for 2.5 years, and it has been such a blessing to us both!! When either of us has something we want to share with the other, we write in the journal and leave it on the other one's pillow. It has been so insightful for me to see into my daughter's world through her own words. And there are times when it is easier to say something on paper than it is face to face.

Well, we are in a correspondance back and forth right now that is blessing my socks off. With my daughter's permission, here is what she wrote a few days ago:

"Mommy, I'm trying hard to be the daughter you want me to be. I'm becoming a young lady, I know that, but you ask so much of me. I'm okay with that, I guess. I know that I'm older so I have to learn more things, harder things and grown up things, but I'm still a kid so don't expect everything out of me. I don't think you do, I'm just saying just in case I can't do everything, I'm asking you to help me a little. Cause I'm going to need it, at least a little tiny bit of help."

When I read the above words I felt immensely grateful that she would try so hard to express her heart to me! And of course I fell more in love with her than ever. In the ensuing discourse (through the journal) we have talked more about that no man's land between childhood and young adulthood. And she specifically asked me to help her know how to be both a kid and a young lady at the same time. Wow. THIS is discipleship. I am so honored and privileged to disciple my daughter.

Do you remember those years when you were on the cusp of puberty? Did anyone else experience conflicting emotions? And not knowing from day to day how you were going to feel and who exactly you were going to be? Those of you who know and love my daughter, please pray for her as she enters this strange and wonderful stage, and pray for me that I can help her navigate through this stage with wisdom and confidence and gentleness.

All of our children are such treasures to know! I encourage you to find ways to open up the lines of communication with your children while they are young, and diligently work to keep them open as they grow. It's worth it! (and remind me of these words at least once a year from here on out, okay?!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's neat! I wonder what my dd would think of that...
Blessings,
Laurie

Marsha said...

What a wonderful idea ~ sharing a journal with your child! I wonder if the boys would go for that?!?!? It sure couldn't be a community journal. They'd wind up 'playing' with it! I suppose that could be interesting in a few years...

Love, Marsha

Anonymous said...

Can G come and raise my kids? She is so wise and so sweet! You are a fantastic mother and the relationship that you have with G is such a blessing and inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing this (and thank G too for allowing it). I'm going to start this with K on Monday and remember this for A too! I think it would be very helpful for K and I.