Sunday, December 2, 2007

The Countdown to Christmas has begun!!

Well, actually our children have been counting down for awhile, but the official countdown began on Dec 1 when they were able to take off the first hershey kiss from their candy ribbon. The candy ribbon was something I grew up with. In fact, my own original ribbon from my childhood is the green one hanging on the far left. It now belongs to our daughter G. Each of the boys got one from Grandma B when they were born. A candy ribbon is a long piece of felt with 24 yarn ties going down it. On the top is a cute little poem that explains the candy ribbon. And then after dinner each night of December, you take off one piece of candy and when you reach the bell on very bottom it's Christmas Day! It's such a fun way for our kids to count down to Christmas! (and can I just say here that I LOVE 3M removeable hooks??? Genuis!!)


At the designated time it gets pretty crowded around the candy ribbons!


This afternoon after church we put up the Christmas village on top of our piano. We have 5 buildings and several smaller pieces that make up our village. This was very exciting and enthusiastically undertaken by all the children!


We hope to put up and decorate our tree tomorrow evening. Christmas decorating has begun in earnest! I love this time of year!

9 comments:

votemom said...

awwww - great pictures!

i've never seen a candy ribbon - what a neat idea. i'd love to do this with my little ones... maybe start next year tho.

does your mom make them? maybe i can stop by to see one close up and i can tackle it.

Marsha said...

What a great idea! I immediately thought of Laurie, though. Think we should make one for her since Dody has (at least partially) left the Christmas countdown up to her? lol

Love it!

Marsha

Anonymous said...

Traditions are so special to each family. We've gotten started with ours too!
Blessings,
Laurie

Pam said...

Votemom, yes my mom makes them. They are pretty easy!

Marsha, I think we should definitely make one for Laurie!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Marsha...I have so much trouble keeping up with the days left to Christmas! It's always a shocker to me!
Blessings,
Laurie

Anonymous said...

Oh Pam, you and Marsha are too funny! I am ROTFL over here!
Blessings,
Laurie

Susanne Barrett said...

I LOVE the candy ribbon idea. We have Advent in full swing around here ... complete with wall calendar. :)

Beth said...

What a cute idea. We are little behind getting our Christmas stuff out of the attic and set up. My 9-y-old will be making his advent paper chain today - he makes one with 25 loops and then tears off a loop each day ~ so he'll get to tear 4 loops right off the bat! I did get my Christmas village set up on my piano ( very similar to yours!) yesterday. Will try to post pictures soon, but for some reason, the camera/ computer aren't talking right now...
<><
Beth

MarshaAnne said...

I'm not visualizing how the kisses stay in place. Because of their shape, it seems like they would slip right out of the yarn. HELP!

Marsha Bruner